Friday, May 16, 2008

Robin at My Window

Thud....thud...thud. Every 2 minutes....thud at our kitchen window. It seems that a large robin has lost its bearing, and for the last 48hours has been trying to break down our glass. It is sadly disturbing. My little girls are eating breakfast and....thud....thud... "Why is the wobin flying into our window ?", asks Lily, my independent, cute as a button 2-year old. "Because we are having so much fun he wants to play with us", I quickly grasp at a response. She gives me a look that says she is not convinced with my answer. Our toys aren't that great she implies with an upraised eyebrow. Wet streaks mark the area of impact. My husband says it is bird brain juice. I am not sure what it is, but it decorates our window like beveled glass. I have tried everything I can think of to help the robin see that this is a fruitless task. Decals on the window, closed the shade. I even drew a picture of a cat and taped it to the impact area. My husband says he thought the cat looked like an owl and asked me if our 2-year old drew it. Night brings relief. The robin is either asleep, or unconscious. I feel great empathy for the robin. I too metaphorically bang my head on a window, then get back up and fly into it again. Like a heartbeat, the thuds comfort me. Thud...thud...thud....thud...thud.

~Moms the Word

No comments: